What are the biggest ethical questions surrounding technology use today? originally appeared on Quora: the place to gain and share knowledge, empowering people to learn from others and better understand the world.
I started Promise because I believe in building technology that helps people thrive. We want our tools and products to ensure people’s safety, success and prosperity. Far too often, technology feels like it is built and implemented to control and bring about the highest profit.
Cutting-edge technology should not be limited to uses that benefit only the affluent, the private sector or consumers.
A few of the biggest ethical questions surrounding technology today at the forefront for me are:
- Government consolidation of personal data being housed with private companies. What data should be tracked and maintained by the government? Who should house that data? What should they be allowed to do with that data?
- Free Speech on social media and other platforms. Who should be able to say what and where? How much regulation should social media platforms be able to put in place? Or should there be no regulation? Who should decide where to draw those lines?
- Prediction systems biases in algorithms. Particularly around risk crime, but also around access to resources.
This question originally appeared on Quora – the place to gain and share knowledge, empowering people to learn from others and better understand the world. You can follow Quora on Twitter, Facebook, and Google+. More questions:
- Diversity in Technology: As a woman of color in the Silicon Valley environment, how much discrimination and trivialization have you faced from peers and would-be project funders?
- Chief Executive Officers: Looking back to your younger days, have you ever imagined that you will be a CEO one day?
- Venture Capital: What has your experience been like navigating the world of venture capital as a founder of color?