- Uzalo is the most watched show on television in South Africa, with 9.88 million viewers, new numbers show.
- Hot on its heels are Generations the Legacy and Skeem Saam, followed by Muvhango.
- The most watched sporting event in October was the Soweto derby, which brought in four million viewers.
Drama series Uzalo is South Africa’s favourite television show.
This is according to data from the Broadcast Research Council of South Africa (BRCSA), which published its list of South Africa’s most-watched shows on SABC stations, e.tv, and DStv in October.
Although streaming services are rapidly growing in South Africa, broadcast television is still far bigger for now.
Uzalo recorded more than 9.88 million viewers, outstripping big-budget series such as The Queen and major sports events such as the Soweto derby.
Not far behind was soapie Generations the Legacy, with 9.1 million viewers. In third place was Skeem Saam, also on SABC1, with 6.9 million viewers, followed by Muvhango (5.57 million) on SABC 2, and e.tv’s Scandal (5.5 million).
The most-watched sporting event in October was the Soweto derby, which brought in 4 million viewers.
DStv’s closest competitor was The Queen, with 1.6 million viewers, and SABC3’s top viewed show was Isidingo: The Need , with 1 million viewers.
96% of South Africans watch live TV, according to the BRCSA.
Uzalo is set in KwaMashu in KwaZulu-Natal and tells the story of two-family dynasties, the Mdletshes and the Xulus.
Through September, the show set a record for viewership with the second episode of its recent two-parter wedding storyline, that reached 10.2 million viewers, reported Channel24.
The series has had its fair share of drama off screen when, in September, producers Stained Glass shut the set down for a week over payment disputes with the SABC.
The previous South African viewing record had been set on 11 June 2010, for the opening match between South Africa and Mexico of the FIFA World Cup that reached a combined broadcast viewership between SABC1 and SuperSport 3, of 10.14 million.
UPDATE: This article previously referred to The Queen as a foreign series. It is, in fact, a local production.
Receive a single WhatsApp every morning with all our latest news: click here.
Also from Business Insider South Africa
- Discovery Vitality made a massive R603 million profit last year – as members fail to use their perks
- South Africa is five times bigger than the UK – here’s how our size compares to other countries
- This is the only one of South Africa’s 72 entry points where environment officials check for alien creatures – and those that sneak through cost us billions
- Half of richer, online South Africans want to buy cryptocurrencies – here’s what’s holding them back
- Malusi Gigaba’s sex tape is trending on the world’s biggest porn site
- BP says ‘everybody that is anyone’ in SA has made environmental ‘mistakes’ – and their confessions shouldn’t be held against them
- An overnight British Airways flight turned into a 77-hour nightmare journey for over 200 people